The Garmin Forerunner series is mostly known as exceptional smartwatches for running and jogging. The available features and specifications of this series are truly worthwhile, yet the downside has been the lack of customizations for other sports and fitness-related activities. The Garmin Forerunner 745 seeks to change this downside.
Garmin Forerunner 745 GPS Running Watch Review
The Garmin Forerunner 745 combines all of the best features in previous Forerunner models and expands these features to cater to triathletes seeking expanded usability. You can now bike, run, and swim with new and improved functions and activity profiles with the Forerunner 745.
|Ease of Use||98/100|
|Ease of Assembly||99/100|
This sports and fitness watch scores high marks in all the important key points for rating a fitness watch. This article will explore everything that needs to be known about this product, including its pros and cons as well as if the watch is worth buying for your fitness needs. Read on to find out more.
Pros of the Garmin Forerunner 745:
- Great for triathletes. The model is designed with users in mind who want the knowledge that their smartwatch will be able to keep up with a wide range of performance statistics across a triathlon. Through updated and improved features to measure cadence, ground contact time, stride lengths, and all of the capabilities that sync with accurate heart rate readings and performance statistics.
- Comes with preloaded activity profiles. The Forerunner 745 is designed to appeal to a wide range of fitness activities. Innovative and detailed activity profiles for swimming, running, bicycling, and triathlons, are all part of the profile selections that you can pick from with this model. This model also includes a range of recommendations if you wish to have some ideas to change up your fitness routine.
- V02 Max indicator. When you are training hard, you sometimes have technology that can give accurate readings that account for variables outside of your control. Wind, altitude, and outside heat and cold temperature variations can all collide to give a slightly skewed performance reading but the V02 Max indicator in the Forerunner 745 lists accurate variabilities with this in mind, and gives you an accurate reading.
- Innovative performance condition technology. Like most models in the Garmin Forerunner series, the Forerunner 745 also analyzes heart rate, heart performance conditioning, and heart rate variability. This is based on a wide range of different performance types to give real-time assessments of how you are faring during your workout. With additional features to rate how long you can continue before you reach various thresholds.
- Multiple GPS navigation protocols. The Forerunner 745 is equipped with both Glonass and Galileo GPS which allow it to track in a wider range of environments and terrain than what can be achieved with traditional GPS technology.
Cons of the Garmin Forerunner 745:
- Subpar battery life when compared to other models. Unfortunately, the Forerunner 745 just doesn’t do well with battery life capabilities, especially compared to other models in the series. This can be expected though due to the increased amount of superior features that have been added to the Forerunner 745.
- Doesn’t work well with other apps. One of the convenient abilities that come with some smartwatches is the ability to customize the watch with other apps that track running or jogging in ways that you enjoy. With the Forerunner 745, you have to use its features exclusively.
- Expensive. The Forerunner 745 is not moderately expensive like some other models, it is downright expensive. This is to be expected with the addition of many new features, however, the price is substantial for this model.
The Garmin Forerunner 745 features many new updates to previous models. For one, the watch itself is completely changed in its design scheme from a more square-shaped design to a circular shape. This is more in line with traditional wristwatches and is well-calibrated to handle the influx of new features.
What is also great about this model is the two available sizes that you can choose from, 42mm or 39mm. Not all runners wish to have a large and bulky wristwatch, even though the display screen is the same size, which works well with the many different types of performance capabilities that are compatible with this model.
Additionally, the Forerunner 745 has pushable buttons, which eliminates the need to go through an app to change settings, you can now interchange settings and customizations through a simple push of a button.
With just five convenient button settings, you are able to navigate the menu and customize the watch with a few simple pushes to your desired settings. There are no complex patterns to figure out with this model, you will likely have the routine down pat after one running session.
The Garmin Forerunner 745 is brimming with many additional features, and the improvements upon the design scheme of the watch are also great. With new additions to measure training effect, recovery time, and race predicting for triathlons, the Forerunner 745 stands atop the series as one of the best models of the Forerunner brand.
Should You Get The Forerunner 745?
The Garmin Forerunner 745 is all about variety. Variety in fitness selections and variety when it comes to what you need to be tracked and monitored and how. The Forerunner series is all about running and jogging, but this model is the one that many Garmin enthusiasts have been waiting for.
If you enjoy cycling, you can now use the convenient cycling power meter to log and display your performance specifics and health targets when you are bicycling. If you want swimming mode, this model now has a fully integrated swimming mode performance meter to record your underwater movements and suggest ways to improve to reach targeted goals.
The Forerunner 745 is all about improving upon past exclusions in this popular Garmin line, and with this in mind, this makes the Forerunner 745 a great investment as this will likely turn out to be the only Forerunner model that you will ever need.
Why the Garmin 745 Is Worth It
So, what makes this model of Garmin watch worth the price? The Forerunner 745 is all about convenience; this model is a complete evolutionary upgrade in the line, which means that some previous concerns with other models have been improved upon for your convenience, such as the inclusion of various types of sports and fitness performance dynamics as opposed to just running or jogging.
The technology is improved upon, which goes beyond simple velocity to even pinpoint performance targets in various areas of the body as opposed to just an overall assessment. The watch is comfortable and lightweight, therefore, you can rest assured that this model is definitely worth the purchase.
The Garmin Forerunner 745 does not have many downsides to mention, yet the substantial price is likely going to be the big sticking point to many potential buyers. This can be easily overcome once you consider some of the useful and innovative technologies that you get with the Forerunner 745.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many years will the Garmin Forerunner 745 last?
The Garmin Forerunner 745 is a durable watch that is built-to-last. The watch can last many years if proper maintenance on the watch is observed or, the watch can deteriorate quite rapidly if the watch is not taken care of.
Does Garmin Forerunner 745 track sleep?
Like the Garmin Forerunner 645, the Forerunner 745 is also capable of tracking sleep in the Garmin Connect app. All of your movements during the sleep cycle will be recorded in your performance chart as well as the total amount of time you have slept.
Can I shower with the Garmin Forerunner 745?
The Garmin Forerunner 745 is water-proof up to 50 meters, therefore, you can safely shower with this model. Care should be taken not to completely submerge the watch in water.
Can you replace the Garmin Forerunner 745 battery?
Since Garmin Forerunner watches utilize a rechargeable Lithium-ion battery, the battery of the Forerunner 745 cannot be replaced. Be advised that battery failure is not always indicative of a dead battery, there could be inconsistencies in a missed software update, which can be launched through the Garmin Express app.
Is the Garmin Forerunner 745 Bluetooth compatible?
The Garmin Forerunner 745 is compatible with Bluetooth connectivity. You will have to pair your watch with the Garmin Connect Mobile App since the watch is unable to pair directly through phone or device outside of the company’s app.
If you are looking for a smartwatch that makes the process of checking your performance statistics easy to navigate, look no further. With enhanced performance features and project charts, the Garmin Forerunner 745 is certainly a model worth considering. There are very few downsides to this watch, and the sheer compatibility enhancements of this model are hard to resist.
Rather you enjoy running and jogging or, swimming, bicycling, or triathlons, Forerunner 745 is certainly one of the highlights of the Forerunner series.