When it comes to fitness watches, sometimes smaller is better. The Garmin Forerunner series has truly left its mark in the world of fitness-oriented smartwatches. This is seen in the helpful features for performance tracking and innovation that consistently improves the brand. With this in mind, simplicity is also attractive to some users, with easy navigation and accessibility.
Does the Garmin Forerunner 45S live up to these Garmin principles?
Garmin Forerunner 45S Review
The Garmin Forerunner 45S is a small and compact wristwatch in the Forerunner line, designed for users who want a smaller watch. With improvements in GPS accuracy and user interface, this model prioritizes easy navigation and comfort with the innovation of the Forerunner line still intact.
|Ease of Use||100/100|
|Ease of Assembly||100/100|
This sports and fitness watch scores high marks in all the important key points for rating a fitness watch. This article will explore everything that needs to be known about this product, including its pros and cons as well as if the watch is worth buying for your fitness needs. Read on to find out more.
- Gps running Watch with Garmin Coach training plan support
- Smaller-sized easy-to-use running watch estimates heart rate at the wrist and Features GPS to Track your pace, distance, intervals and more
- Works with free Garmin Coach Adaptive training plans that bring expert, personalized coaching right to your wrist
- Connected features include smart notifications for incoming texts and calls, automatic uploads to our Garmin connect online community, live tracking and controls for the music playing on your paired compatible smartphone
- Safety and tracking Features include incident detection (during select activities) which sends your real-time location to emergency contacts through your paired compatible smartphone.Sports apps for running, cycling, indoor track, treadmill, elliptical, cardio, yoga and more.Battery life: up to 7 days in smartwatch mode; 14 hours in GPS mode.Included Components: Forerunner 45S; Charging Cable; Documentation
Last update on 2021-05-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Pros of the Garmin Forerunner 45S:
- Smaller and more compact. What makes this model stand out to most users is the small size of the watch. The Forerunner 45S is only 39mm, which means that this model is the essential model for users with smaller wrists in the Forerunner series. The Forerunner 45S fits snug and comfortable around the wrist, with a silicone base to decrease wrist burn during workouts.
- Routable maps. With the Forerunner 45S, you can now customize maps and routes with GLONASS and Galileo GPS protocols which allow it to track in a wider range of environments and terrain than what can be achieved with traditional GPS technology. The mapping technology is now colored and interactive, which allows you to receive even more detailed and visually attractive routes based on your location.
- Pulse oximetry data. Like most models in the Garmin Forerunner series, the Forerunner 45S also analyzes heart rate, heart performance conditioning, and heart rate with oximetry data to provide variability based on a wide range of different performance types to give real-time assessments of how you are faring during your workout and how long you can continue before you reach various thresholds.
- Comes with preloaded activity profiles. The Forerunner 45S is designed to appeal to a wide range of fitness activities. Innovative and detailed activity profiles are now expanded for swimming, running, bicycling, and triathlons, which are all part of the profile selections that you can pick from with this model. This model also includes a range of recommendations if you wish to have some ideas to change up your fitness routine.
- Great for triathletes. The Garmin Forerunner 45S is designed with users in mind who want the knowledge that their smartwatch will be able to keep up with a wide range of performance statistics across a triathlon if need be. Through updated and improved features to measure cadence, ground contact time, stride lengths, and all of the capabilities that sync with accurate heart rate readings and performance statistics.
- Affordable. When it comes to affordability, the Forerunner 45S is one of the standout watches in the series for those looking for a budget smartwatch. The quality is not sacrificed for a smaller price, and as long as you like smaller frames, this Forerunner model is a great value for such a smaller price.
Cons of the Garmin Forerunner 45S:
- Subpar battery life when compared to other models. Unfortunately, the Forerunner 45S just doesn’t do well with battery life capabilities, especially compared to other models in the series. This can be expected though due to the increased amount of superior features that have been added to Forerunner 45S.
- Doesn’t work well with other apps. One of the convenient abilities that come with some smartwatches is the ability to customize the watch with other apps that track running or jogging in ways that you enjoy. With the Forerunner 45S, you have to use its features exclusively.
- Small watches aren’t for everyone. The Forerunner 45S may be too small for some users. If you are looking for a medium to large watch, this model in the Forerunner series is not for you.
The Garmin Forerunner 45S features many new updates to previous models. For one, the watch itself is completely changed in its design scheme from a more square-shaped design to a circular shape with new key stats showing on the screen, which is more in line with traditional smartwatches and is well-calibrated to handle the influx of new features. This design scheme may not be for everyone, yet the simplicity of the design is perfect for less tech-savvy users.
The Garmin Forerunner 45S is brimming with many additional features as well. The improvements upon the design scheme of the watch are also great. With new additions to measure training effect, recovery time, and race predicting for triathlons, the Forerunner 45S stands atop the series as one of the best models of the Forerunner brand.
The inclusion of a VO2 Max measuring protocol will also appeal to triathletes and marathon runners. With this technology, you can now measure your cardiovascular output and the transportation of oxygen to your muscles.
Should You Get The Garmin Forerunner 45S?
The Garmin Forerunner 45S is all about variety; variety in fitness selections and variety when it comes to what you need to be tracked and monitored and how. The Forerunner series is all about running and jogging, but this model is tailored more towards fitness enthusiasts who desire a smaller frame around their wrist. It still has all of the features that are signature to the Forerunner line, just on a smaller scale.
The Forerunner 45S is all about improving upon past exclusions in this popular Garmin line, and with this in mind, this makes the Forerunner 45S a great investment. It’s not large by any means and is less tech-heavy than other models, yet it is still a great model for a lower price.
Why the Garmin Forerunner 45S Is Worth It
The Forerunner 45S is all about convenience on a smaller scale. This model is a complete evolutionary upgrade in the line, which means that some previous concerns with other models have been improved upon for your convenience, such as the inclusion of various types of sports and fitness performance dynamics as opposed to just running or jogging.
The technology is improved upon, which goes beyond simple velocity to even pinpoint performance targets in various areas of the body as opposed to just an overall assessment. The watch is comfortable and lightweight, therefore, you can rest assured that this model is definitely worth the purchase. This model is not going to win any awards for design but it is certainly worth it for the price and the inclusion of many of the signature Forerunner features.
There are not too many downsides to this small watch. The aesthetic appeal may be a sticking point for some potential buyers, yet this should not be a determining factor. The watch is small and may be hard to read in dim light. The battery is not as great as other models in the Forerunner line. Additionally, the screen resolution is a bit lower and hard to read than other models, even in bright sunlight.
Some users report difficulty in properly calibrating the new and improved altitude acclimation protocols of the watch. This feature is common across the Forerunner series. It can be easily remedied by being sure your watch is connected to Garmin Connect Mobile during your fitness session. Do not let the small size and scaled-back design deceive you, this is a very compact and long-lasting watch.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between Garmin 45 and 45S?
The main thing that separates the Forerunner 45S is the size of the frame. This model has a much smaller frame and wrist band than what is seen with the other Forerunner 45 models.
Does the Garmin Forerunner 45S play music?
You can play music on the Forerunner 45S; however, this model does not come with the option of storing music. You will need to link a Spotify account or another music platform to the watch to listen to music.
Does the Garmin Forerunner 45S track cycling?
Yes, the Garmin Forerunner 45S does track cycling. The watch uses a GPS tracking system to track distance, which can also be set to record cycling. Additionally, you can track a wide range of exercise activities with many features corresponding to the type of workout you choose.
Does the Garmin Forerunner 45S track steps?
Yes, you can activate the activity tracking feature on the Garmin Forerunner 45S to accurately track your steps throughout the day. This feature records the distance you have traveled, as well as calorie-burning, and even calories burned during sleep.
Does the Garmin Forerunner 45S track elevation?
Yes, the Garmin Forerunner 45S is able to track elevation. This is achieved by activating the GPS tracker that is programmed with Glonass and Galileo support for the most accurate readings of elevation during your workout.
If you are looking for a smartwatch that makes the process of checking your performance statistics easy to navigate with enhanced performance features and project charts, then the Garmin Forerunner 45S is certainly a model worth considering. There are very few downsides to this watch, and the sheer compatibility enhancements of this model are hard to resist.
Rather you enjoy running and jogging or, swimming, bicycling, or triathlons, the Forerunner 45S is certainly one of the highlights of the Forerunner series. This watch is smaller and has a price that is certainly attractive.