What if there was finally a fitness smartwatch that could harness power from the sun to save on battery life? The Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar Edition does just that and improves upon existing performance features. This is one of Garmin’s most comprehensive models yet and the new features reflect this. With all of these new features and solar technology, is the Fenix 6 Solar Edition worth the hefty price?
Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar Edition Review
The Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar Edition features a wide array of new features such as mapping and navigation, tracking performance metrics for a wide variety of activities, and more. The standout feature is the inclusion of a power glass, solar charging lens that provides superior battery longevity.
This sports and fitness watch scores high marks in all the important key points for rating a fitness watch. This article will explore everything that needs to be known about this product. Including its pros and cons as well as if the watch is worth buying for your fitness needs. Read on to find out more.
- Solar Powered Multisport GPS Watch with large 1.4 inches display (36% larger than previous fenix models) uses the sun’s energy to extend battery life and assure more on-wrist time for your off-grid activities
- Enhanced estimated wrist heart rate and Pulse Ox to support advanced sleep monitoring and altitude acclimation at high elevations (this is not a medical device and is not intended for use in the diagnosis or monitoring of any medical condition)
- Advanced training features include PacePro for grade-adjusted pace guidance throughout your activity plus environmentally adjusted VO2 max and training status estimates
- Navigate the outdoors with preloaded TOPO maps, ski maps for over 2,000 worldwide ski resorts, multiple global navigation satellite system (GPS, GLONASS and Galileo) support and built-in sensors for 3-axis compass, gyroscope and barometric altimeter
- Support for Garmin Pay contactless payments (not all countries and payment networks are eligible), music storage with premium streaming service (may require subscription with third-party music provider) support, smart notifications and more
Last update on 2021-01-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Pros of the Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar Edition:
- Power glass solar charging lens. Building on the craftsmanship for solar power that was seen in the Fenix 6X, the Fenix 6 Pro Solar Edition contains a power glass lens material that covers the display screen of the watch. This new and improved panel increases the ability of the lens to absorb UV and transfer this power to the battery pack. You can now have a full solar charge to the battery that limits charging time.
- Wrist-monitoring heart rate technology. Many watches that are fashioned for runners and joggers promise technology that can monitor your heart rate, yet this can be an inconvenience in most models. With the Garmin Fenix Pro Solar Edition, the smart technology keeps in sync with your heart rate through your wrist, which displays on the screen for easy monitoring.
- Equipped with GPS. One of the many things to appreciate about a treadmill is the convenience of your distance stats on a monitor right in front of you. With the Garmin Fenix Pro Solar Edition, you can now have all of these great GPS features like pace, distance ran, and customizable intervals that light up with frequency during your run. Gone are the inconveniences of having to keep a mental note of your distance running.
- Pace Pro feature. For some of Garmin’s most select watch models, adaptive training plans through a Garmin coach of your choice are available to help guide you through your run. The Fenix 6 Pro Solar is one of the watches that includes this convenient coaching, which works well to help you reach your goals on those days when running or any fitness regime seems like a chore.
- Solar-powered battery booster. One of the standout features of a Garmin watch is the great detail that is put into creating batteries that can last for long periods in-between charges. The Garmin Forerunner 45 can hold a successful charge for up to 7 days between charges, which allows you to worry less when it comes to waiting for battery charges when you are ready to get out and run.
Cons of the Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar Edition:
- Power glass needs 3 hours of strong sunlight. Although the new and improved solar power glass lens is the standout feature, it can be a bit inconvenient. In order to reap the full benefits, the lens needs about 3 full hours of direct sunlight. Therefore, unless you plan on being in direct sunlight for hours, you won’t get the full benefits. This is not going to be a problem for fitness enthusiasts who spend a few hours outdoors each day.
- Expensive. While there are some great new features with this watch, the price is quite substantial. The Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar is not moderately expensive like some other models, it is downright expensive. This is to be expected with the addition of many new features, however, the price is likely to be a point of concern for some consumers for this model.
- Complicated map navigation. While this model does feature some great addition to GPS and navigation, the design is flawed. There are far too many instances where multiple buttons need to be pressed to navigate properly. If you need to zoom in on a location to see the terrain, you will have to navigate a slew of buttons. Manual entry can be convenient for smartwatches, but this is an instance that would be great for a touchscreen.
The Garmin Fenix Pro Solar Edition features many new updates to the previous Fenix models. For one, the watch itself is completely changed in its design scheme from a more square-shaped design to a circular shape. The new key stats showing on the screen are more in line with traditional smartwatches.
The watch is well-calibrated to handle the influx of new features. The Power Glass lens combines the best of solar technology with powerful battery-saving performance. But perhaps the biggest standout of the Fenix 6 Pro Solar Edition is the comfort and size variations that make the watch great for running. The watch feels incredibly lightweight against the wrist. In addition to this, the personalized workout features are enhanced as well.
What is also great about this model is the two available sizes that you can choose from, 42mm or 39mm. Not all runners wish to have a large and bulky wristwatch, even though the display screen is the same size, which works well with the many different types of performance capabilities that are compatible with this model.
Additionally, the Fenix 6 Pro Solar has more pushable buttons, which eliminates the need to go through an app to change settings. You can now interchange settings and customizations through a simple push of a button.
With just five convenient button settings, you are able to navigate the menu and customize the watch with a few simple pushes to your desired settings. There are no complex patterns to figure out with this model, you will likely have the routine down pat after one running session.
The Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar is brimming with many additional features, and the improvements upon the design scheme of the watch are also great. With new additions to measure training effect, recovery time, and race predicting for triathlons, the Fenix 6 Pro Solar stands atop the series.
Should You Get The Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar?
The Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar is all about variety; variety in fitness selections and variety when it comes to what you need to be tracked and monitored and how. The Fenix series is all about energy savings, but this model is the one that many Garmin enthusiasts have been waiting for. You get the benefits of incredible battery life with the advanced features of the Fenix line.
The Fenix 6 Pro Solar is all about improving upon past exclusions in this popular Garmin line. With this in mind, this makes this model a great investment as this will likely turn out to be the only Fenix model that you will ever need considering that the long-awaited ability to harness the power of the sun into battery performance is fully realized with this model.
Why the Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar Edition Is Worth It
The Fenix 6 Pro Solar is all about convenience; this model is a complete evolutionary upgrade in the line. This means that some previous concerns with other models have been improved upon for your convenience. Such as the inclusion of various types of sports and fitness performance dynamics as opposed to just running or jogging.
As well as a music upgrade, the inclusion of pulse oximetry data for more comprehensive and dynamic performance readings is also here.
The technology is improved upon, which goes beyond simple velocity to even pinpoint performance targets in various areas of the body as opposed to just an overall assessment. The watch is comfortable and lightweight, therefore, you can rest assured that this model is definitely worth the purchase.
Negatives are always a factor for any product but the Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar does not have many downsides to mention. The substantial price is likely going to be the big sticking point to many potential buyers. This can be easily overcome once you consider some of the useful and innovative technologies that you get with this model.
Some users report difficulty in properly calibrating the new and improved GPS and navigation protocols. Additionally, the need to spend hours outside to unlock all the benefits of solar technology can also be a burden.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Garmin Fenix 6 accurate?
The GPS accuracy on the Fenix 6 Pro is recalibrated and improved upon from the earlier Fenix models. The navigation and GPS reader can accurately record positions for upward of 3-10 meters. A strong satellite signal is essential.
Which Garmin Fenix is best?
In terms of available features and advanced technology, the Fenix 6 Pro Solar is the best of the series. This edition has a bigger and more comfortable display. Additionally, solar technology makes for incredible savings and convenience for the battery life of the watch.
Should I get Fenix 6 or 6X?
The Fenix 6 Pro Solar is a variant in the Fenix line that focuses on solar technology for longer battery life. The 6X has a large display screen and the manual controls are a bit easier to navigate. It all depends on which feature you prioritize the most.
Is the Fenix 6 too big?
The Fenix 6 Pro Solar is not uncomfortably big. The lens is, in fact, larger, but this is essential to incorporate solar technology for the battery. Many users report that the size of this model strikes a nice, mid-range balance between small and large.
Does the Fenix 6 Pro play music?
Unlike other earlier models in the Fenix series, you can sync music and store music on the Fenix 6 Pro Solar.
If you are looking for a smartwatch that makes the process of checking your performance statistics easy to navigate with enhanced performance features and project charts, then the Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar is certainly a model worth considering. There are very few downsides to this watch, and the sheer compatibility enhancements of this model are hard to resist.
Rather you enjoy running and jogging or, swimming, bicycling, or triathlons, the Fenix 6 Pro Solar is certainly one of the highlights of the Fenix series, made all the better by the new and improved addition of advanced solar technology for ultra-battery performance.
Check out the Garmin Instinct Solar Review next!